Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Thanks

Hay Season Machinery Prep for #Hay17

It is that time of year to look at preparing for the hay season for those of us in the Midwest. Our friends in other areas are already baling...lucky

I will approach this from a small Midwest hay producer and ask for assistance from those with equipment I personally am not familiar with in my area...such as windrowers, huge wheel rakes, and big square balers to name few...so lease feel free to help me out.

In my area where most hay farms are small...used for our own cattle or sale to horse owners, small goat and cattle herds, ad others.

Many of us do this over the winter, but some pick up some "new" used machinery, get behind for various reasons, or would rather do the work just before cutting...so this list is helpful at all times of year...

Haybines and Discbines
    I start with a walk around to looking at the overall condition of the machinery and making notes;
    Then...
    • Have an owners manual with you;
      Check out the reel tines, zerk condition, reel bearings for replacement;
      Look closely at sicklebars...check knives, guards, and clips. Ensure they are adjusted for best cutting. Remember, these parts work together for efficient hay cutting;
      On disc mowers, discbines check the blades and turtles for replacement or in some cases rotation as well...poor disc blades can do damage to alfalfa for example that will hurt yields;
      Grease all wear points, check zerks and replace as needed;
      Check hydraulic hoses and cylinder for leaks or wear;
      Check the safety pins for road travel (I replace this each year);
      Check tires for wear, cracking, and inflate to the appropriate air pressure;
      Check Belts for wear and proper tension;
      Check chains for proper tension and wear;
      Check gear box oil level;
      Ensure all bearings are properly greased and follow manual for time between greasing...the grease gun is your friend in hay machinery!;
      If you have a wobble box, inspect closely and ensure bearings are in good shape and bushing for sicklebar head is in good shape.

My haybine parts in tool box are the sickle bar bushing, a few guards and knives, chain master links, and a grease gun. The truck has extra grease, more knives and guards, a few clips, and

Rakes/Tedders

• Grease...Grease...the hay producer's friend...have a manual and grease all zerks on the schedule recommended in the manual;
      Inspect and replace tines as needed;
      Inspect bearings and replace as needed;
      Check and inspect tires and inflate as needed;
      Check and repack bearing as needed
      Check hoses and cylinders, if applicable;
      Check safety clips, folding devices, and pins as applicable;

[/B]Hay Balers[/B]

• For Round balers...
      Inspect belts for checking and wear, replace as applicable;
      Inspect tires for wear, checking, and proper inflation
      Inspect pick-up tines and replace as needed;
      Check hydraulic hoses;
      Ensure safeties work for working on balers;
      Knives are sharp for cutting;
      Net Wrap chamber is clean and functions properly;
      Ensure all grease points are checked according to the manual;
      Keep clean and ensure an updated fire extinguisher is available on baler and tractor.

For Small Bale Balers...
      Have a manual available for adjustments and greasing points;
      Inspect knotters for cleanliness, stuck debris, and proper greasing;
      Inspect knotter bill hooks, knives, tension adjustments;
      Inspect pickup and replace as required;
      Ensure chains are in good condition;
      Check gear box oil and change if necessary;
      Check hitches and hitch pins for wagons;
      Ensure PTO shields are in good condition;
      Inspect tension mechanisms for correct operation, air, hydraulic and manual spring;
      Clean and grease regularly during the hay season.

[/B]Hay Preservative Systems[/B]

• Replace the monitor and check operation and wiring for the monitor. Keep stored in dry place without pests when not in use, mice love wires, as many of us have learned;
      Ensure pump operates and their are no leaks;
      Replace applicator spray tips, screens; check valves and gaskets as applicable;
      Replace or rebuild applicator pumps as shown in manuals when required;
      If you change preservatives, check with the supplier about proper nozzles.
    "You can't service a bad product but you can let a good product go because of bad service."

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier Hay Farm For This Useful Post:

IN Master Cattleman 2016 (05-01-2017)